WHAT IT'S LIKE LIVING WITH ANXIETY AND HOW TO COPE AT UNIVERSITY.

Hello, i've been away for some time because i needed some time to just think and be with myself for a while. All my youtube videos were all filmed in advance and edited everything before going away on my holiday. Anyways, back to this week's post. I have been dealing with anxiety for a while, probably since i was 15, although it roughly started around the age of 13 and got really bad around the start of 6th Form and usually i don't talk about it because i often used to feel ashamed about the way my body and mind worked or rather didn't. 

Anxiety is a funny thing. Many people don't understand what it means or how it can affect your life so distinctly. I've noticed a growing trend of people talking openly about it - and that's great. But I hope the topic doesn't become glamourised because living with it is a different thing entirely. The older I got, the more I realised how hard it was to live like this but i was always afraid to get help because i didnt anyone to judge me about my mental illness and from that stem my anxiety to be around strangers even with my friend with me, i get anxious getting close to people and thus built a wall around myself and my anxiety

If my mind became too crammed or i was too stressed out I would just burst into tears and or have a panic attack. During my final year at College is when things got really bad, i was overly stressed about what to do with my life and on top of that, home life wasn't so great. I got a job in an effort to run away from my problems but i found that my problem followed me everywhere and would very often have panic attacks at work and get back to what i was doing like nothing happened. I was stressed and depressed, i would binge eat and then purge or i would completely "forget" to eat and my bestfriend was desperate for me to get help but i didn't want to. I lied about getting help so she would get off my back for a while and i could just go about my business. 

I got help around the start of July and was in an 6 week CBT program which aimed to help with my anxiety but didn't tackle my depression but during these 6 weeks i was able to use some of the techniques to minimize my anxiety and panic attacks and for a while it worked. However, recently i've been getting more and more panic attacks, usually about 2-3 days apart and i suspect it's because off university approaching very fast so ill give you some tips on how to deal with that. 

 1. Accept that it is normal, and something you’d expect. Anxiety is part of who we are and out fight or flight. It's only problematic when it affects your day to day life.
2. Talk about your feelings with someone you know well. Don’t bury how you feel and pretend that you’re OK.
3. Look after yourself – get plenty of sleep, take time for exercise, and make sure you eat well.
4. Ask when you’re confused, or uncertain, or need help. Usually others are quite happy to help you at this time.
5. Accept that it is takes time to make some friends when you are new. But others feel the same – and they want to make friends, too.
6. Don’t expect to feel comfortable within the first few weeks. It’s a whole different world and there’s so much to learn.
7. Remember you’ve made changes and have done new things before. You can cope and survive – so just be patient with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment